Be sure to read our policy on citing sources before editing!
|This article/section requires cleanup in order to qualify for Jiggywikki's standards. |
You can discuss this issue on the talk page or this page to improve it.
Banjo-Tooie (entrance only)
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (outside only)
In Banjo-Kazooie, most of the game takes place within the lair, which is a hub to the nine worlds. There are a number of different rooms and sub-areas. The hat of the lair is a tower, and the final battle takes place on the roof of the hat.
In Banjo-Tooie, Gruntilda's Lair has been severely wrecked as a result from the HAG 1's destruction. The Grunty structure The entrance inside of the cave shaped like Gruntilda's face is blocked by rocks, and the only use is for Banjo and Kazooie to visit Cheato. The Grunty structure is also missing an eye.
During Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, the lair is inaccessible but visible from the outside in Spiral Mountain.
In Banjo-Kazooie, Gruntilda's Lair was the main area and central hub of the game. The lair overlooks the peaceful Spiral Mountain. This was the home of the evil Gruntilda Winkbunion, who kidnapped a young bear named Tooty so that she could suck out Tooty's beauty and be "fairest in the land". However, Tooty's brother, Banjo, and his friend, Kazooie soon learned of the plot and ventured into the lair. Along the way, they met many helpful characters, like the friendly mole, Bottles the Mole, and the game's resident shaman, Mumbo Jumbo. Through their combined efforts, they ventured through perilous lands, broke the witch's many spells, and even won a game show to rescue Tooty. After Tooty was rescued, Banjo and Kazooie went to the very top and defeated Gruntilda in a showdown.
In Banjo-Tooie, the lair is colored brown instead of green. However, in the two years that Gruntilda spent trapped under ground, the lair fell into disrepair. Only the first room was left, along with the witch's spellbook, Cheato. The lair was used just to see Cheato, who would give Banjo and Kazooie cheats in return for his ripped out pages.
Points of interest
- Grunty Portrait #1 (Only slightly able to be seen in Banjo-Tooie only with a hole in it and slightly Zoomed-In.)
- Mayahem Peak (Mumbo's Mountain room) (Mumbo's Mountain Puzzle)
- Grunty Round Floor Tile (Treasure Trove Cove Puzzle) (Clanker's Cavern Puzzle)
- Waterfall Room
- Click Clock Wood Puzzle Room
- Banjoland's Epic Toy chest (Treasure Trove Cove room)
- Pipe Drainage Room (Clanker's Cavern room)
- Jungle Lot (Bubblegloop Swamp Puzzle)
- Grunty Statue Island
- Swamp Room (Bubblegloop Swamp room)(Freezeezy Peak Puzzle)
- Giant Stone Urn
- Mummy's Tomb (Gobi's Valley room)
- Grunty Face Statue
- Advent Room (Freezeezy Peak room)
- Lava Room (Gobi's Valley Puzzle)
- Cemetery (Mad Monster Mansion room)
- Mumbo's Shack
- Water-Level Raising Room (Mad Monster Mansion Puzzle)
- Grunty's Port (Rusty Bucket bay Room)
- Storage (Rusty Bucket Bay Puzzle)
- Woods (Click Clock Wood room)
- Grunty's Furnace Fun
- Transformation Room
- Grunty Portrait #2 (Top of the Tower Puzzle)
- Dingpot's Room
- Red Honeycomb Puzzle
- Top of the Tower
- Mumbo's Mountain
- Treasure Trove Cove
- Clanker's Cavern
- Bubblegloop Swamp
- Freezeezy Peak
- Gobi's Valley
- Mad Monster Mansion
- Rusty Bucket Bay
- Click Clock Wood
- Left of the main entrance.
- On top of the entrance to Mumbo's Mountain - access as termite. (Mumbo's Mountain)
- On top of the ship near the entrance to Treasure Trove Cove - climb on cannon. (Treasure Trove Cove)
- Beak Bust Gruntilda's eyes on the flat disc with her portrait. (Clanker's Cavern)
- Jump inside the gold urn in the room just before Gobi's Valley - use jump pad activated through a room blocked by a breakable brick wall. (Bubblegloop Swamp)
- In alcove high above the entrance to Freezeezy Peak - use flying pad under cobweb in nearby room- activate pad with switch in a lower alcove, and use running shoes to reach pad in time. (Freezeezy Peak)
- Inside the stone coffin in the room with the gold urn - use jump pad. (Gobi's Valley)
- Break the glass eye in the Gruntilda head - use flying pad under cobweb. (Mad Monster Mansion)
- In alcove leading to the level 3 water switch. (Rusty Bucket Bay)
- In alcove above the entrance to the Click Clock Wood area - access as bee. (Click Clock Wood)
- Behind the Magic Cauldron in the Treasure Trove Cove/Clanker's Cavern puzzle room.
- Hidden behind a tree at Click Clock Wood's puzzle room.
- On top of a pipe near the first orange Magic Cauldron.
- Above the Clanker's Cavern world door.
- Behind the sarcophagus near the Gobi's Valley world door.
- In an alcove above the Freezeezy Peak world door.
- Underwater in the corner of the Rusty Bucket Bay world door room.
- Inside a Whipcrack left of the Mad Monster Mansion puzzle.
- Above the ledges in the teal crystal room that lead to the Click Clock Wood world door room.
- On the back of the Huge Grunty Statue's hat.
- At the Bubblegloop Swamp entrance room, near the 3 logs, jump to the top of the middle one.
- In the Mad Monster Mansion Puzzle room, after pushing the second water raise switch, go to the surface and you should see an Extra life.
- Behind Mumbo's Shack (the house you can only enter if you're a pumpkin inside the graveyard).
- Located behind some roots, in the room with the Click Clock Wood Puzzle.
- Behind the entrance to Click Clock Wood, walk in the grass until Banjo rises a little out of the grass. Banjo is on top of a Shock Spring Pad! Use it to jump on top the Click Clock Wood entrance and collect an Extra life. You may also use the Bee transformation to get it.
- Located on a window ledge near the last yellow Cauldron, after completing Grunty's Furnace Fun.
- There are four extra lives inside Grunty's Furnace Fun.
Gruntilda's Lair hosts a variety of enemies, some exclusive to the lair itself and others which only appear after their native world has been accessed.
- Ticker - Appears in the Mumbo's Mountain room, after Mumbo's Mountain has been accessed.
- Snippet - Appears in the Treasure Trove Cove room, after Treasure Trove Cove has been accessed.
- Shrapnel - Appears in the Clanker's Cavern room, after Treasure Trove Cove has been accessed.
- Grille Chompa - Appears in the Clanker's Cavern room, after Clanker's Cavern has been accessed.
- Buzzbomb - Appears in the Bubblegloop Swamp room, after Bubblegloop Swamp has been accessed.
- Sir Slush - Appears in the Freezeezy Peak room, after Freezeezy Peak has been accessed.
- Chinker - Appears in the Freezeezy Peak puzzle room, after Freezeezy Peak has been accessed.
- Mum-mum - Appears in the Gobi's Valley room, after Gobi's Valley has been accessed.
- Scabby - Appears in the Gobi's Valley room, after Gobi's Valley has been accessed.
- Ripper - Appears in the Mad Monster Mansion room, after Mad Monster Mansion has been accessed.
- Flotsam - Appears in the Rusty Bucket Bay room, after Rusty Bucket Bay has been accessed.
- Big Clucker - Appears in the Click Clock Wood room, after Click Clock Wood has been accessed.
Names in other languages
|French||Tanière de Gruntilda||Gruntilda's Lair|
|German||Gruntildas Reich||Gruntilda's Realm|
|Italian||Antro di Gruntilda||Gruntilda's Antrum|
Guranchiruda no Toride
|Spanish||La Guarida de Gruntilda (BT)||Gruntilda's Lair|
- In Banjo-Kazooie, though after Grunty is trapped by the rock outside her castle, her laughing can still be heard while walking through in her lair.
- In Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, a statue of King Jingaling's head can be seen laying on the ground outside Grunty's Castle. This could imply that at one point King Jingaling wanted to settle in Spiral Mountain with the Jinjos, but was overtaken by Grunty. This could have something to do with the dispute between Grunty and the Jinjos, and why she captures them on Banjo-Kazooie, and imprisons them in Banjo-Tooie.
- The first few bars of the theme music to Grunty's Lair sounds very reminiscent to the famous song "The Teddy Bears' Picnic".
- Although they were separate game levels in the first game, the entrance to the lair was all the player could access in in the game's sequel, Banjo-Tooie and was part of the Spiral Mountain level.
- While Banjo-Tooie's version of the music track is similar to the first game, it no longer has the sound of a witch laughing in the background. This is due to Grunty's absence of the area in the game.
- When certain Game Shark or PAR cheats are used (which inadvertently do something like violating protected memory or the checksum), the bridge to Grunty's Lair in Spiral Mountain will have a large hole in it, making it impossible to cross without a levitation cheat. There are no still effects otherwise. Amusingly, said bridge is in a similar state of disrepair in Banjo-Tooie.
- The Tower of Gruntilda's Lair can be seen in the background of Showdown Town in Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.
- The orientation of the eyes varies in each game. In Banjo-Kazooie both of her green eyes are present. In Banjo-Tooie her left eye is missing. In Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts her right eye is missing, not the left eye, and it is an object that Kazooie can pick up.