Be sure to read our policy on citing sources before editing!
Hailfire Peaks is the seventh world of Banjo-Tooie. It is an island with two big mountains dividing the two opposite sides. One side of the mountain is an arctic region while the other is a fiery, volcanic area.
On the top of Hailfire Peaks's two mountains are large pools. One is a pool of lava and the other is a pool of ice water. These pools are where the two dragon brothers can be found and battled.
This level also has two train stations, which is unusual, compared to the other levels, which only house one (except for Mayahem Temple, Jolly Roger's Lagoon, Cloud Cuckooland, and Cauldron Keep, which have none). However, the ice side station can't be accessed unless Banjo and Kazooie can cool down Chuffy's boiler room.
Most of the lava side of the level takes place on the mountain's side, since the ground below is mostly all an ocean of lava. There are many stones are stone walkways of course, where Banjo and Kazooie can walk safely on to avoid the lava. Also, on the sides of the volcano, fiery hands reach out of cracks alongside the wall and grab Banjo and Kazooie.
Inside the volcano there are many magma pools with walkways above. Banjo will suffocate from the heat in a matter of minutes if he doesn't leave the caves soon. In one of them is a Jiggy where multiple switches must be pressed in order to reach the prize before Banjo runs out of breath.
There is a little miniature factory on the icy side of Hailfire Peaks that can be opened using a rusty switch. To press the switch, Banjo and Kazooie must first transform into a giant snowball with Humba Wumba's help.
Points of interest
- Through Terrydactyland's Stomping Plains: You must head to the Stomping Plains in Terrydactyland and make Banjo use his Snooze Pack to refill health after getting squashed by Stomponadon. Press the switch and reunite the duo. Head to Hailfire Peaks Icy Side for a Jiggy.
- Colosseum Kickball Tournament: In the Colosseum, there's a wall with a crack. Break it with a Grenade Egg and then head through to Mayahem Temple. Head to Wumba's and then turn into a Stony. Head back to the Hailfire Colosseum and then start playing. Be warned that the rules are very different from the Mayan Kickball Tournament; because here, the LOWEST score wins.
- Climb the Colosseum: Go into the Colosseum as Banjo only. Climb up the chain hanging down, and then grab a ledge and head outside, use the switch, and switch to Kazooie. Have Kazooie go to the Flight Pad on the opposite side of the Fire Side, and fly to the small hole that has a Kazooie switch. Switch to Banjo, and Grip Grab across to another switch, which opens a cage near the bottom of the Colosseum. Switch back to Kazooie and Glide down to the Jiggy.
- Inside the Volcano: Inside the volcano is a rock structure in the middle of a lava pit, with a switch on it that has the Roman numeral I. You must hit the switch and hit each switch that appears, before running out of air.
- Feed Boggy Some Fish: Boggy's hungry and wants you to get him some food. In a pool of hot water near the top of the Fire Side is a fish. Use Banjo's Shack Pack to get it and take it back to Boggy.
- Defeat Chilli Billi and Chilly Willy: Though most bosses would be confronted later in the course of a level, you'll probably want to get rid of these guys right away. You know how annoying the fire and ice balls that come every ten seconds while Banjo and Kazooie try to do something are. So they must go to the far left of the map and stand on the lone building until a fireball smashes it. This reveals a Flight Pad. The duo must use the Flight Pad on the Lava Side of Hailfire Peaks to reach Chilli Billi, and use the cannons to fire Ice Eggs at him. After either six or twelve hits (depending on which you beat first) , he is defeated and heads to get some Big Al burgers. Next, on the Icy Side of Hailfire Peaks, Banjo and Kazooie must go to Biggafoot and wait until an ice ball comes down and hits his foot. He then gets out of the way. Then, Banjo must use the Claw Clamber Boots to reach Chilly Willy. The duo must do the same thing as Chilli Billi, but must use Fire Eggs instead of Ice Eggs. After either six or twelve hits, he becomes defeated and gives Banjo and Kazooie a Jiggy before flying off wondering which way to the fly-thru McJiggy's.
- Save Sabreman: Sabreman, star of Sabrewulf, is frozen in the Icy Side. Take Mumbo to the Icy Side (via the hidden passage in his Skull), and use the Mumbo Pad that is hanging over the frozen explorer. Then take Banjo and use Fire Eggs on him to warm him up. Get Banjo alone and use the Taxi Pack on Sabreman. Take him to his tent near the world entrance on the Fire Side for your reward.
- Help the Aliens' Kids: The aliens from Jolly Roger's Lagoon have accidentally dropped their kids into the Icy side. Find Alph and revive him using the Mumbo Pad. He then shows the locations of his kids. Get the bear and bird and then start looking for the aliens. Alphette is below the Mumbo Pad near Wumba's (break it with a Bill Drill and then revive it with Mumbo), Betette is on a hidden shore where you find Humba's Glowbo (Bill Drill him and that's it), and Gammette is above the Split-up Pads (get Kazooie alone, climb up to the Chilly Willy entrance and Glide down to it to use Hatch on it).
- Activate the Oil Drill: Transform into the Snowball and get as big as you can. Head to a Warp Pad and warp to the Upper area of the Fire Side. Quickly head into the entrance to the Icy Side, and you'll end up on a cliff over looking the oil drill. If you lost size, look for snow on the ledge that you can roll into (if the HONEYBACK option is active, this is not necessary). Roll onto the power switch, and the drill turns on, digging up a Jiggy that falls into a pipe. Get Banjo alone and then use the Shack Pack to go into a hole in the pipe. You're now in Grunty Industries, where the Jiggy is.
- Icy Side Train Station: In order to get this Jiggy, you need to get to the Icy Side train station, which is accessible only by train. But the train's engines are too hot. After freeing Gobi from his prison in Witchyworld's Chamber of Horror, he'll show up in the Fire Side Train Station. Use the flying pad in the lava side, the entrance to the upper part of the train station is right above the Colosseum. Stomp on Gobi's hump, and he will spit into the smokestack, cooling the engine. Take the train to the Icy station and there should be a Jiggy there.
- Inside the pool of hot water where the Dindin is (near the exit to the Icy Side). Banjo must use the Shack Pack to grab the fried and almost drowned Jinjo.
- Behind a lava waterfall next to the Colosseum. Banjo must hit a switch inside the Colosseum that raises platforms outside, then Banjo and Kazooie must use the Wonderwing to get through the waterfall. With the Honeyking cheat, Banjo can barely make it through the lava waterfall.
- Inside of Mildred Ice Cube, who is outside of Boggy's Igloo. Break her using the Bill Drill or Fire Eggs.
- In the Icicle Grotto, behind the split up pads. Cross the icicle bridge and turn around. Kazooie must use her Leg Spring to Glide to it. You can also get it by firing a clockwork Kazooie egg.
- In a small cave in the Icy Side. Strong winds prevent the duo from reaching it, so Banjo must transform into his Snowball form and become the largest size to get past the winds. Banjo and Kazooie may also use the eggs to get to the Jinjo.
- In a hole near (above) the hot lake with Boggy's fish.
- Near the entrance to the icicle cave in the volcano.
- In the Fire Side Train Station.
- Inside the Colosseum Lobby, Banjo and Kazooie must use the Claw Clamber Boots to walk up the middle pillar and go out the doorway leading outside once they have reached the top.
- In the Ice Area Upper World, Banjo must use Kazooie and go right from the Split-up Pads. There should be a narrow bridge of ice. There are small platforms the duo must Spring Jump on. Banjo and Kazooie must then seek out the Cheato Page and find it. Alternatively, you can retrieve the page as Kazooie alone by going to the silo where you learned Glide and use that move learned there to glide across the gap between that ledge and the page.
- Enter Icicle Grotto from the entrance close to the Oil Drill in the Icy Side. Right as you enter, to your left up the hill will be an greenish icicle hanging from a platform. Climb up the icicle and shoot a Clockwork Kazooie Egg into the tiny hole and at the end of the tiny tunnel will be a Cheato Page. Alternatively, Banjo alone can use the Shack Pack ability to get through it. Once he has gone far enough, he can nab a Cheato Page.
- From the Kickball Stadium Lobby to the Kickball Colosseum Lobby in Mayahem Temple.
- From the hot pool with the door says H2O when George Ice Cube falls from Cloud Cuckooland to Jolly Roger's Lagoon.
- Through the Stomping Plains of Terrydactyland.
- Through the Waste Disposal Plant where the word "OIL" above is near the water pipeline from Jolly Roger's Lagoon to Grunty Industries.
- From Glitter Gulch Mine, the Waterfall Caves are the only way to get the ice locked box, which contains Mega-Glowbo.
Names in other languages
|French||Pics Fournaise||Furnace Peaks|
|Italian||Picco Nevefoco||Snowfire Peak|
Hotto Aisu Yama
|Hot Ice Peaks|
|Spanish||Picos Fuegohelados||Hailfire Peaks|
- This is the only world in Banjo-Tooie to feature more than one boss, as it has two.
- The Fire Side of Hailfire Peaks was mentioned by Gobi in the first game, in Click Clock Wood, after Banjo and Kazooie pound on the camel's back to release water onto a tall flower. He states that he is fed up with the duo and decides to head to the "Lava World," referring to the Fire Side. The Fire Side was originally going to be included in Banjo-Kazooie as the Lava World but was cut until Banjo-Tooie because of time constraints. However, players believe he originally meant that he was going to this scrapped world.
- If the Snowball transformation in full size jumps into one of the holes where the Alien Children were, it'll get stuck and the only way to escape is to reset the game.