Be sure to read our policy on citing sources before editing!
Artwork of Captain Blubber from Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Treasure Trove Cove
Jolly Roger's Lagoon
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge:
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts:
Terrarium of Terror
- “Me treasure! Thank ye me hearties! Take this reward! I'm off ter spend, spend, spend!”
- —Captain Blubber, Banjo-Kazooie
Captain Blubber is a sea hippo and a recurring supporting character in the Banjo-Kazooie series. He is a pirate captain and the owner of The Salty Hippo, his "pride and joy."
In Banjo-Kazooie, Captain Blubber is found at Treasure Trove Cove, and is heard crying as he walks back and forth on the deck of his ship. When Banjo and Kazooie first talk to Captain Blubber, he tells them that his ship crashed, what caused him to lose his treasure. Kazooie tells Captain Blubber to get it himself, but he responds by saying that he cannot swim (despite real world hippos having the natural ability to swim). When the duo retrieve both pieces of treasure, he rewards them with a Jiggy and leaves to go spend his gold.
Captain Blubber is later seen in the ending, in which he is riding a waveracer on the sea, laughing as he rides into the sunset.
In Banjo-Tooie, Captain Blubber owns a waveracer hire in Jolly Roger's Lagoon. Like the previous game, Captain Blubber making burping sounds while talking.
When Banjo and Kazooie enter Captain Blubber's shop and talk to him, he tells them that his business is doing poorly because all of his waveracers were shipwrecked, and the last one was eaten by a Big Fish the day before. Banjo offers to lend him "a doubloon or two," but he refuses and offers them to buy his "last possession" for one doubloon. If Banjo and Kazooie accept, Blubber puts a crate in the middle of the shop; it contains a pair of Turbo Trainers. Captain Blubber then states that he will go to Jolly's for their quiz night, where the winner will win 1,000 doubloons. With this money, Captain Blubbers plans to buy a "fine new flying machine."
In the ending, Captain Blubber is seen riding the Saucer of Peril similarly to the waveracer in Banjo-Kazooie's ending, which reveals that he won the quiz night.
Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
In Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, Captain Blubber appears as a younger version of himself called Little Blubber, and is found at Breegull Beach. He and his Pirate Scouts challenge Banjo and Kazooie to a game, where he holds a treasure chest with his ship. To win, Banjo must hold the chest for longer than Blubber and his crew. After being defeated in the game, Little Blubber gives the two a Jiggy.
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
In Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Captain Blubber appears in every world except LOGBOX 720 and Spiral Mountain. In Showdown Town, he stands in the Uptown area selling a Trapdoor Tower combination to the duo. It is also mentioned that he crashed the Saucer of Peril in the city.
In Banjoland, Captain Blubber takes the role of "The Deluded Ex-Mariner." He hosts challenges in Act 1 and 6 (although he does appear in other challenges hosted by other characters). In the first one, he asks for Banjo and Kazooie to protect Clanker's eyes from Gruntbots. Later, he warns the duo about Mr. Patch and requests that they defeat him again.
In Jiggoseum, Blubber acts as "The Water-Sports Enthusiast," hosting challenges in Acts 3 and 6. In the first one, he asks Banjo to show his strength by lifting bowling balls. Later, he asks the duo to light the Jiggosseum torch.
In Terrarium of Terror, Captain Blubber portrays "The Dashing Adventurer" called "Captain Flash McBlubber," hosting challenges in Acts 2, 3 and 4. In the first one, he wants the duo to race against him so he can practice. In the second, he requests that Banjo and Kazooie test his new vehicle, the "Super Sally." In his third challenge, he asks for the two to push the "Ball Brothers" out of an airlock.
At the ending, Captain Blubber is one of the characters that congratulate Banjo and Kazooie for acquiring ownership of Spiral Mountain and defeating Gruntilda.
In Grabbed by the Ghoulies, boxes of "Captain Blubber's Lubricant" can be found throughout Ghoulhaven Hall. It's slogan is "Grease up them oars boys!!"
In Viva Piñata and Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise, the Captains Cutless is said to be owned by Captain Blubber.
Captain Blubber wears a pirate hat, a pair of boots and red-and-black striped pants, complete with a sword attached to the belt. In the Nintendo 64 games, the belt is dark red, and the sword is positioned on his right side of his hip.
In Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, the belt is brown and the sword is positioned to the other side. His boots were changed from black to brown, and are slightly worn out. A set of red feathers is added on top of his hat and the pirate symbol is on the front of the hat. Captain Blubber wears a golden earring, and a blue patch is on his pants. Captain Blubber's sword blade has been rusted.
Profiles and statistics
Viva Piñata / Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise
- Captains Cutless description: "As modeled on Captain Blubber's weapon of choice, will we ever see him in a position to use it..? Ruffians are terrified of this sword. Maybe it's the 'Property of Blubber, anyone that touches this will be SAT on' sticker on the hilt?"
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
- Manual profile: "This hippo is down on his luck these days. He wears his captain's hat, partly out of nostalgia but mostly it just keeps the rain off his head."
- "Ahoy there! I'm cap'n Blubber, an' I lost me treasure when me ship crashed."
- "Arrr... but I can't swim! Can ye help an old sea hippo?"
- "Me treasure! Thank ye me hearties, take this reward! I'm off ter spend, spend, spend!"
- "Ahoy there! It be yer ol' shipmate, Cap'n Blubber! How ye goin', me hearties?"
- "Aye! These adventures are all the same, so many places t' go and things t' find..."
- "Not good, landlubbers. All me waveracers are shipwrecked, an' the last one was eaten by a fish yesterday."
- "Naw, shipmates. But I will sell ye me last possesion for just 1 Doubloon. How about it, me hearties?"
- "Do you want my last possession for 1 Doubloon?"
- "Arr, ye's a good 'un, Banjo. Have a look inside this 'ere crate."
- "Thanks, shipmates. I' be off t' Jolly's for their quiz night! Thar be 1000 Doubloons up fer grabs, an' if I win, I'll be havin' me a fine new flying machine!"
Names in other languages