Be sure to read our policy on citing sources before editing!
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (mentioned)
- “Bzzarrgh! My elaborate disguise is ruined, revealing my evil cybotic-ness!”
- —Mingy Jongo, Banjo-Tooie
In Banjo-Tooie, Mingy Jongo appears as the boss of Cloud Cuckooland, where he is subtitled "Crafty Shaman Impersonator." In that world, there are two Mumbo Skulls; one is blue and one is red. The skull that Mingy Jongo and Mumbo Jumbo are each found in are randomized for each playthrough. The two Mumbo Skulls can be distinguished in that Mumbo's one has a Minjo, while Mingy's one has a Jinjo and does not have lit torches. Mingy Jongo is always found sleeping at first, unlike Mumbo, who is only asleep when Banjo and Kazooie first encounter him near the start of the game. Lastly, when Banjo and Kazooie enter Mingy's skull prior to defeating him, no on-screen text of the location name is displayed. However, if Banjo and Kazooie re-enter Mingy's skull after defeating him, the text "Mumbo's Skull" is briefly displayed, despite the location being a replica.
The boss fight starts as soon as Banjo approaches what appears to be a sleeping Mumbo Jumbo. As Mumbo wakes up, he says he has a surprise for Banjo (referring to him by name rather than "bear" like the real Mumbo Jumbo does). Banjo goes close to the fake Mumbo Jumbo, only to be blasted away, taking away one Honeycomb. The fake Mumbo's eyes turn bright red, and he introduces himself as Mingy Jongo. He seals off the stairs so that Banjo and Kazooie cannot escape. Because the battle takes place on the upper floor of Mingy Jongo's skull, it is the smallest battle arena of the game.
During the battle, Mingy Jongo attacks by creating a series of fast-paced energy bolts from his zap stick. If the bolts get close to Banjo, they can home in on him. The more damage Mingy Jongo takes, the more his robotic form is revealed. After four hits, Mingy Jongo starts to teleport away from Banjo during his attacks. Every so often, both abilities short out, and Mingy Jongo tries to recharge, giving Banjo and Kazooie a chance to strike him.
Upon being defeated, Mingy Jongo announces that his chances of beating Banjo are "minimal," his head pops off, causing his body to spout a green fluid, and he explodes. A Jiggy then appears on Mingy Jongo's chair.
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
In Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Mingy Jongo is mentioned by the Lord of Games during his quiz. In one of the questions, he asks "what was the name of evil fake cyborg Mumbo in Banjo-Tooie," with the right answer being "Mingy Jongo" and the wrong answers being "Mouldy Mango," "Mangy Wango" and "Mungo Klungo."
- "Hello, Banjo. Mumbo has big surprise for you."
- "Har-har-harrr! Foolish bear, you fell straight into my trap! I'm not that pathetic shaman you think I am! I'm Mingy Jongo and your worthless quest ends here..."
- "As you see, there's no escape and resistance is futile!"
- "Foolish bear, why do you return? A few more shocks from my stick seem necessary..."
- "Bzzarrgh! My elaborate disguise is ruined, revealing my evil cybotic-ness!"
- "Bzzarrgh! I calculate my chances of stopping you are now minimal..."
- Mingy Jongo is the only world boss in Banjo-Tooie whose theme is not a remix of their world's theme, and is instead a remix of the Mumbo's Skull theme.
- It is impossible to fight Mingy Jongo in Banjo-Tooie as Banjo or Kazooie alone, as Mumbo, or as a transformation, by using a cheating device, even during the replay section, as he is programmed to only wake up when Banjo and Kazooie are together. If the duo are defeated without Mingy waking up, Mumbo's talk icon is used for the quote, "Do you want to play again?," likely because Mumbo's head icon was programmed to play first during the fight.
- In Banjo-Pilot, an item called Mumbo's Head closely resembles Mingy Jongo's own head.
- It is unknown who Mingy Jongo was built by. In promotional material for Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, when asked about who created the robot, Mumbo Jumbo answers by saying that he "not know who make it, Grunty never own up… maybe it Klungo. Seem to be kind of useless thing Klungo like to invent."
Names in other languages
Shabby Shaman Impersonator
Hábil Imitador de Chamán
Skillful Shaman Impersonator
- "What was the name of evil fake cyborg Mumbo in Banjo-Tooie?" —Lord of Games during his quiz, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
- Tweet from Gregg Mayles
- Archive on Reddit of the Banjo-Kazooie Facebook Q&A